Here is a delicious “homemade” recipe of chickpea cream.
The Houmous is a specialty of Lebanon. It is a main meal in the Arabic cooking. The term “Houmous” means chickpea in Arabic. This mixture is chickpea-based, sesame and lemon juice. It has an important nutritional value. In France, we eat the Houmous during the aperitif with breadsticks or in starter served with a fresh salad. Enjoy your meal !
Difficulty : (low)
Time : 15 minutes
- A blender
- A bowl
- 175 g of chickpeas
- 120 g pastry of sesame (Tahine)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 lemon juices
- 60 ml of water
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Vegetables like radishes and carrots to served with the Houmous
The preparation of Houmous :
- In a blender, pour chickpeas and three garlic cloves.
- Mix and add the pastry of sesame (tahine), two lemon juices and water.
- You must mix until the preparation become homogeneous.
- You can add a little water, if your mix is not consistent.
- If you don’t have a blender, you can mix ingredients in a little bowl with a fork. Crush chickpeas and the pastry of sesame (tahine).
- Finally, pour your preparation in a bowl. Dig a little hole at the center and pour the olive oil.
- Serve with radishes, carrots and breadsticks to dip into the Houmous.
TIPS of OPERAL FOOD : The canned chickpeas must to be rinse and dry before the preparation. It is possible to add chili peppers for the courageous people 😉
TASTER : “I am Lebanese and your recipe is like of my grandmother’s recipe ! Thank you OPERAL FOOD !” – “I found this recipe by chance. It is delicious !”
And for more tastes, I propose you a sauce recipe to serve with your Houmous.
The Houmous sauce :
Difficulty : (low)
Time : 5 minutes
- 15 ml of olive oil
- 1 spoon of parsley
- 2 spoons of paprika
- Some black olives
The preparation of Houmous sauce :
- In bowl, mix the olive oil with two spoons of paprika.
- Cut the parsley and add it into the bowl.
- Mix and pour on the Houmous.
- Put some black olives to decorate.
Thank you for your attention. Please feel free to post your suggestions, pictures or questions in a comment. I wish you a good reading and let’s go cooking !